These Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats are thick and tall, filled with lots of chocolate and caramel and topped with M&M’s and MORE caramel layered on top to make the most decadent no-bake Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat.
I am always looking for ways to improve upon my favorite treats – I’ve added Rolo’s to peanut butter cookies, I’ve put coffee and caramel into chocolate chip cookies, and I’ve made delicious red wine and berry sauce to go on my cheesecake.
I’ve even tackled Rice Krispie Treats recipes on this blog before – check out my Brown Butter Pecan Treats (one of the first recipes I ever posted!)
Now I’ve returned to Rice Krispie Treats, at the behest of my husband who loves them. I’ve newly improved the recipe by adjusting the main flavor ingredients – butter and marshmallows.
What do I need for Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats?
- A 9-inch baking dish. You can do a larger dish if you wish, but they will not be as tall and thick.
- Salted Caramel Sauce. You can buy some from the store or make it homemade.
- M&M’s – I used mini’s, but you can switch it up with different flavors of M&M’s!
- Cocoa Rice Krispie’s Cereal.
- Chocolate Chips. I buy baking bars and chop them, but you can use any chocolate you prefer.
- Marshmallows. I like using big super puffy marshmallows, but the size doesn’t really matter – use whatever you have!
- Butter. If possible, use a high quality salted butter for all the flavor benefits. I love to use Kerrygold.
- Cooking spray.
- Parchment or wax paper.
How to make Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
These treats are 10 times more delicious than the recipe on the back of the box, but just as easy!
Melt the butter in a large pot or dutch oven over low heat. Once butter is melted, add the marshmallows, leaving out a handful. Once the marshmallow mixture is melted, add chocolate, and caramel sauce. Heat and stir until the chocolate is fully incorporated and the marshmallows are nice and brown.
Add the cereal. Mix quickly into a very sticky mixture. Then take the remaining handful of marshmallows and fold them into the mixture. Press into a pan sprayed with non-stick spray, then gently press the M&Ms and leftover chocolate chips onto the top of the Rice Krispie Treats. Let sit until the treats are at room temperature and have set. This will take about 15-20 minutes. Drizzle with more caramel and serve!
Tips and Tricks
For making your treats as good as possible!
- Use salted butter for extra flavor.
- To get the sticky mixture into a pan with ease, spray a rubber spatula with non-stick spray so you can get the top nice and flat.
- You can make this exactly to your liking with any chocolate of your choosing. If you like a dark chocolate (like I do) use that. You can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet as well.
- Hide a piece for yourself, because everyone will want these!
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 15oz bag marshmallows, with 1/4 cup set aside.
- 4oz baking chocolate, chopped or 1/2 cup chocolate chips, with some reserved for the top.
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce, plus some for drizzling
- 8 cups Cocoa Krispies
- Mini M&M's, for topping
- Prepare a 9x9 square pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat salted butter over low heat until melted.
- Add marshmallows, reserving 1/4 cup.
- Once marshmallows are melted and incorporated with butter, add chocolate and caramel sauce. Heat and stir until everything is mixed together and the marshmallows are a light brown chocolate color.
- Remove from the heat and add Cocoa Krispies, folding together into a sticky mixture. Fold in remaining marshmallows.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, and using a rubber spatula sprayed with non-stick spray, flatten the top. Gently press leftover chocolate plus M&M's into the top.
- Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, or until treats are completely set.
- Drizzle with more caramel sauce and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 9 Serving Size 1 treat
Amount Per Serving Calories 401Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 28mgSodium 261mgCarbohydrates 50gFiber 3gSugar 26gProtein 4g