Banana’s Foster French Toast is a thick cut sweet bread, dipping in a sweet cinnamon custard and topped with caramelized bananas flavored with rum and caramel sauce. One of my favorite breakfast recipes that will become a family staple!
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day; I love eggs, bacon, pancakes, waffles, anything that would be served at a breakfast buffet. I even had a brunch wedding!
I’m always looking for new ways to do breakfast. I was inspired to do my take on Breakfast for Dinner, where I made a savory waffle recipe. Now I’m trying my hand at a sweet breakfast recipe.
Try my Maple Bacon Monkey Bread for another sweet breakfast treat!
What do I need to get started?
- A thickly sliced lightly sweetened bread, such as brioche or challah. I recommend getting a loaf of bread and slicing it yourself, to achieve the preferred thickness.
- Whole milk, half and half, or heavy cream.
- Cinnamon and allspice.
- Vanilla Extract.
- Ripe bananas.
- Butter and brown sugar.
- Rum (you can also use rum extract, for all the flavor but no alcohol.)
How to make Bananas Foster French Toast
After slicing the bread extra thick, get started on your custard. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, milk or cream, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla.
Take a slice of bread and dip in the egg mixture. Quickly flip it. Repeat with all slices. You can also do this on a large baking dish so all slices will be dipped at once.
Melt a little bit of butter on a saute pan, and cook the french toast on medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the bread and cook the other side. Repeat with all slices. Keep the bread warm in the oven while doing this!
Then you can get on with making the bananas fosters sauce. Melt butter over medium low heat, then add brown sugar.
Cook the butter and brown sugar together until brown sugar is completely dissolved. Add the banana slices and cook for about a minute on each side, then fold together so bananas are completely coated in the sauce. Take off the heat and add the rum or rum extract and stir it all together. If you’re using real rum and want to burn off the alcohol, add back to the heat for another 3-4 minutes.
Top the French Toast with the banana topping and enjoy!
- Buy unsliced bread and slice it yourself – for super thick slices!
- Heat the bananas foster mixture for an additional 3-4 minutes after adding rum, to keep the recipe kid-friendly.
- Add some walnuts or pecans to the bananas foster for an extra crunch! If you do this, add before the bananas.
French Toast Toppings
Switch up the toppings for a whole different experience!
- Add ice cream to make it a dessert!
- Whipped cream.
- Maple Syrup.
- Caramel sauce.
- 6 slices thickly sliced challah bread (you can also use brioche)
- Butter for frying
- 2 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp spiced rum, or rum extract
- Preheat oven to "warm" or lowest setting. Slice bread if it is not already sliced.
- Whisk together all custard ingredients, ensuring that eggs are completely incorporated.
- Move custard to large shallow bowl or baking dish. Dip slices of bread in custard and flip once, before removing from dish. Keeping the bread in the custard too long will result in a soggy French Toast. Repeat with all slices.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter on a small frying pan over medium low heat. Once butter is melted, add french toast slice and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Repeat with all slices of bread.
- Move French Toast to oven to keep warm.
- Banana Topping: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar. Cook until sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is slightly thickened.
- Add banana slices to the sauce and cook until soft, about 1 minute. Fold them into the mixture until the banana slices are coated in caramel. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum. If you want to cook out the alcohol, return the pan to the heat after adding rum and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Top the French Toast with the banana topping. You can enjoy as is, or add maple syrup and whipped cream!
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 slice french toast
Amount Per Serving Calories 381Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 143mgSodium 213mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 2gSugar 18gProtein 8g