This Air Fryer Pretzel Crusted Chicken Sandwich is a juicy chicken breast breaded in salty pretzel crumbs, and sits atop a pillowy pretzel roll, with red onions, lettuce, and dijon mustard. Perfect for game day with a beer, or for an easy dinner made in the air fryer.
In case anyone hasn’t noticed, I’ve been on an air fryer kick lately. I’ve done Air Fryer Loaded Deviled Eggs, Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Meatballs stuffed with mozzarella, and now I’ve taken my favorite sandwich and made an air-fried version. And this sandwich? Salty from the pretzels, but it’s perfectly offset by the red onion, the mustard, and the roll. There is just enough of every flavor and texture to create the perfect bite. Look here for more info on air fryers!
What do I need to make Pretzel Chicken Sandwiches?
- An air fryer. If you do not have an air fryer, you can fry it in the traditional way.
- Chicken breasts, cut lengthwise.
- Garlic Salt and pepper. You can also use regular salt with a little bit of garlic powder.
- Pretzel Rolls.
- Crushed Pretzels.
- Flour and egg (for breading).
- Dijon Mustard.
- Dill Pickle Slices.
- Red Onion.
How do I make Pretzel Chicken in the Air Fryer?
First, we start with breading the chicken. Since we are using crushed pretzels in place of bread crumbs, you can smash them by hand, or add pretzels in a food processor and crush them like that. I like to leave a couple of bigger pieces of pretzel, for added texture and look.
Place your flour, egg, and pretzels in separate shallow dishes. I find using paper bowls is best for this – much less clean up.
Dredge each chicken in flour, then in egg, then roll in the pretzels. Repeat until all your chicken pieces are breaded.
Generously spray your air fryer basket with nonstick spray or olive oil. You want to cook the chicken for about 14 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes. The chicken will be fully cooked on the inside while still juicy, and a beautiful golden brown on the outside.
This recipe calls for red onion, lettuce, and dill pickles for sandwich topping, and dijon mustard for the sauce. Feel free to switch it up – add on tomatoes, or maybe make a barbecue version of this sandwich!
Keep the chicken in a fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days. Don’t assemble the sandwich until just before serving.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut lengthwise
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder - for seasoning the chicken
- 1/2 cup flour (for breading - use more if necessary)
- 2 eggs, whisked (for breading - use more if necessary)
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels (for breading - use more if necessary)
- 4 pretzel rolls
- Lettuce, red onion, dill pickles - for sandwich toppings
- Dijon mustard
- Cut chicken breasts lengthwise, then generously season both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then shake off the excess. Dredge in egg, then dredge in pretzel crumbs. Repeat until all chicken is breaded.
- Spray air fryer basket with nonstick spray, then preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
- Once air fryer is heated, cook the chicken for 10 minutes, flip the pieces with a pair of tongs, then cook for another 5 minutes. Chicken must be cooked in a single layer - pieces cannot be lying on top of each other. This might need to be done in batches.
- Once all chicken is cooked, assemble your sandwiches with a pretzel roll, cooked chicken, lettuce, dill pickle slices, and red onion.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 449Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 164mgSodium 983mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 35g